Sunday, November 15

'Ajab Prem is a slap on people's faces'


Syed Firdaus Ashraf in Mumbai
When you enter director Rajkumar Santoshi's office in Versova, north-west Mumbai, you don't see any posters of his latest hit, Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani.

Posters of his early films -- Ghayal, Damini, Barsaat and Andaz Apna Apna -- are showcased next to a portrait of Che Guevara, the Argentine doctor who became an icon of revolutionaries everywhere.

Santoshi was written off after consecutive failures -- Family: Ties of Blood (2006) and Halla Bol (2008) -- but has bounced back with his Ranbir Kapoor-Katrina Kaif starrer.

The director spoke to Syed Firdaus Ashraf about the highs of lows of his career.

Did you expect such a good response for Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani?

I knew people would like it, especially youngsters. When we edit and watch the trial, we come to know. But no one can predict the response. The film had a lot of innocence.

How has the attitude of the movie industry changed after this success?

The corporate people are calling me now!

Artistes have always respected my work. As far as the trade is concerned, it changes every Friday. I don't go to parties or meet stars other than the ones I am working with.

I am an introvert. I don't like to hang around with people without purpose because I don't drink. That's another problem. How many Cokes can I have in a party?

What kept you away from romantic comedies despite the success of Andaz Apna Apna?

I go by my own emotions and pick subjects that inspire me. When I made my first film Ghayal with Sunny Deol, it was a phenomenal success. But I did not make another action film after that. I made a heroine-oriented film, Damini. Then I made Andaz Apna Apna. If you see my career graph, it's always been like this.

I did Lajja, a woman-oriented film, and Khakee, a police thriller. I never repeat myself; I don't like doing that. I always want to explore new territories; that gives me a high.

Comedy, of course, comes naturally to me. But I don't want to cash on it. There was a lot of pressure on me to do a sequel to Andaz Apna Apna, but I didn't.


Image: A scene from Ajab Prem Ki Gazab Kahani. Inset: Rajkumar Santoshi.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger