Wednesday, December 9

'Kurbaan gave a shock to the system'


Authur J Pais in New York

The pre-release excitement over Kurbaan was not sustained despite some good reviews. But writer Rensil D'Silva [inset], who makes his directorial debut with this film, says it will not be written off.

Best known for his screenplay for Rang De Basanti, D'Silva, 41, discusses films and people that have influenced him the most.

When did you fall in love with the movies?

It started with Star Wars over three decades ago. I had begged my family to take me to that movie. I was amazed to see the spectacle unfold, though my mother (a classical piano teacher) complained during the interval that she did not understand a word of it. But for me, everything in the film was magical.

Is there someone else in the family who loves movies as much as you do?

My mother's father (Walter Netto), who is 95. He used to take me to the movies, and, more importantly, discuss them with me. I saw some of the best Indian and Hollywood films because of him. He also kept a thick notebook, and from 1940 he had been entering the names of the films he had seen, with a few lines about them.

Is the notebook still around?

Very much. I began adding some of the films I had seen and wrote a few lines about them. Just to keep the tradition going. The 400-page book is almost full.


Image: A scene from Kurbaan

No comments:

Powered By Blogger