Saturday, June 20

'New York was completely new to me'


Katrina Kaif goes down a different path in her forthcoming film, New York. The actress sheds the sexy look we've seen in films like Singh Is Kinng, Partner, Welcome and Race, and opts for a 'real, girl-next-door' look.

Co-starring John Abraham, Neil Nitin Mukesh and Irrfan Khan, Kabir Khan's New York is set against the tragic 9/11 backdrop.

Katrina spoke to Nithya Ramani about how she's so much like her character, Maya, and why she loved falling in love in the film.

What is New York about?

New York starts out like a fun, high energy film set in college -- [where you spend] the best days of your life, not caring about the outside world, big dreams and hopes. All this comes to an abrupt end, forcing these people to take up more responsibility, grow up faster and become more matured.

It is a roller coaster journey of these characters. And it's been a very endearing journey for me, right from the start -- clearing the script, shooting the film, promoting it, dubbing it... I have learnt a lot during this process.

I thought it was a genre I would never relate to. But when it was done, I didn't want to leave. I enjoyed being my character, Maya, so much. It opened up a whole new world to me.

The format of the film is very fresh. I think it can appeal to a large audience.

Your character is very deglamorous compared to the roles you have played before.

I wouldn't call it de-glamed. That sounds like applying mud on your face and then performing, trying to look simple. Maya is real. She is the girl next door. She is not a headstrong woman. She's very casual, simple and carefree. The kind of girl everybody knows.

For me, the 'real' touch to Maya's character was the most special thing about the film. She is more like me than any other character I have played.

Life takes her on a journey and she becomes a woman, falls in love. I enjoyed that part very much as I could relate to that process in so many ways.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger