Monday, January 19

'Victory' Could Be a True Story of Any Cricketer


What is the film 'Victory' all about?

'Victory' is a film about human spirit and how one fights against obstacles to become a part of Team India. The film also shows the journey of Vijay Shekhawat who is very passionate and talented but comes from a small town and how he works hard to become a part of Team India and after becoming a part the drama of his life unfolds.


The film is about cricket, how excited were you to play the role of Vijay Shekhawat?

I was very excited. I love cricket! This film is based on cricket and it has authentic cricketers playing themselves in the film. The film is also treated very realistically. 'Victory' could be a true story of any cricketer as the film shows a selection process, the life of a cricketer, his relationship with his teammates, his coach, his friends, family, neighbours and even relationship with the media. The entire film is handled very realistically to portray all these aspects.


Would you tell us about the music of 'Victory'?

Since it's a cricket based film, 'Bala Utha Chakkha Laga' is the anthem of the film. There is another anthem in the film 'Cricket Hamara… Jeevan Saara'. The rest has got its share of music tracks like 'Mazaa Aa Gaya' when Vijay Shekhawat gets selected and the entire neighbourhood celebrates with him, a romantic track with the lead girl. In all there are 6 tracks.


The film has a number of cricketers playing themselves in the film. Who is your favourite amongst all of them?

There are in all 60 cricketers. The list is very big. It will be very difficult for me to select one cricketer. But, definitely Bhajji (Harbhajjan Singh) and I are very good friends, we have shot together too and we have travelled also together. Bhajji is definitely one of the favourites amongst all of them who I have shot with.


How would you rate this film different from other cricket films in the past?

Every film has a story. A lot of romantic and action films are made, but all of them are distinctly different in their stories. Similarly, 'Victory' is a cricket based film, a sports film, but it has realistic cricketers and is very real and that's how this film sets apart from any other cricket film made in the past.


The film is called 'Victory'. What does Victory signify to you?

Victory is a very large word. Obviously Victory is a film. Victory is our Victory against poverty in this country, our Victory against terrorism, our Victory for a better country, our Victory of a better tomorrow. Victory is a very large word and one should use it in its fullness.


Amrita Rao was played your love interest in the film. How was your experience working with her?

Amrita is a senior actor and a fabulous one too. I really enjoyed working with her. She has acted in lot more films as she has been in the industry before me., but never she made me feel that I was a newcomer as we had began shooting for this film before by debut film released. Over and above, we shared a great camaraderie. She, her mother and I always hung out together and I look forward to working with her again.


When a cricketer wins matches we throw praises on them but when they fail, we criticize them. What would you like to say on that?

Exactly! This kind of incident is also depicted in the film and in a very realistic manner.


What kind of preperations you had to go through to play this character?

Vijay Shekhawat is from Rajasthan. So a couple of months before shooting, I went to Jaisalmer and stayed there for 4 days and 3 days I stayed at a friend's place in a town called Fulloudi just to get a flavor of a Rajasthani boy. The way they wear the bali in the ear, their skin tone, their eating habits and mannerisms. Also trained for 4 months in cricket. I am not a great cricketer but I play fairly well and I am definitely the best in my society where is stay. I am an average cricketer as any Indian is.


Your next films are being directed by Ashutosh Gowariker and Anees Bazmee. How is it working with them?

Both have their own style of working. Ashu Sir is superb to work with. We have just finished the first schedule of 'What's Your Raashee?' and Ashu Sir's observation and planning is very detailed. I really enjoy working with him. While working with Aneesji is again different and it is fun and the atmosphere is very relaxed. They both have their distinct styles and that's why they are successful.


You have changed the spelling of your name, is it to do with numerology?

Yes! I have made a change to the spelling of my name. I have added the word 'S' between my name and surname. My official name is Harman Singh Baweja and my director, Ajitji suggested to add that.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger