Friday, February 27

My Oscars will connect people, says A.R. Rahman

A smiling A.R. Rahman, who made a triumphant return home Thursday after winning two Oscars for the music of the film "Slumdog Millionaire", said his victory would change apprehensions about Indian music in the West and was a starting point for him as well. "My biggest dream to connect people through music has come true. In a world where there are enough reasons to separate us, the Oscars have unified us," Rahman had told reporters at the Kodak Theatre.

"Let's forget about the East and West divide now - it's the closeness now that has happened. There used to be a lot of apprehensions earlier for Indian music in the West but this award has changed that perception."

Rahman won two golden statuettes for "Slumdog Millionaire" for best original score and best original song for "Jai Ho". They were among the eight Academy Awards bagged by the film by British director Danny Boyle about an underdog-wins story set in India.

He also ruled out a political role for himself. "I am a musician first and last and have no aspirations for any political activity or office," Rahman said while reacting to suggestions from reporters about accepting a nomination to the Rajya Sabha.

Rahman skirted the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils caught in the crossfire between the army and the rebel Tamil Tigers.

"Neither the Oscar ceremony nor this stage are forums to raise political issues. While I may be personally against any harm to any human being, I also feel that Tamils should get protection in a peaceful atmosphere in Sri Lanka, I am above politics," Rahman said.

With his trademark humility and simplicity, the composer said the song, "Jai Ho", which won an Oscar, may not have been his best to date.

"It may not have been my best. However, the songs matched the sensibilities of Western audiences with its rhythm, burst of energy and joy and resulted in a huge impact," Rahman said.

"The series of awards has got me so much of respect. All the legends like Mick Jagger and others talk to me like equals now - that's great. We can do collaborations and some extraordinary work in the future," he added.

As for his future plans, he said: "I would continue to work in Tamil films - as much as I do in Hollywood - provided the projects excite me."

No comments:

Powered By Blogger