Saturday, February 14

Before Golden Globes, US media didn't want my solo pics: Rahman


In that one week, I received three awards in the US. The first was the Critics' Awards. When I got that the American media wasn't interested in me. They didn't want my solo photographs. 'Can you please stand next to Danny Boyle?' they'd say. I think it was a glamour thing. By the time I came to the third award, the Golden Globe, they said, 'Can we have your solo pics, please?'," Rahman said in an interview.

The composer is India's hope at the Oscars with three nominations - he has been nominated for Best Original Score and two for the Best Original Song for a motion picture with his songs "Jai Ho" and "O Saaya" in 'Slumdog Millionaire'.

Excerpts from an interview:

Q: It's heartening to see you representing India at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) and Golden Globes.

A: Thanks. I had no idea I'd win. See, each member of the jury had his or her opinion. It was a very international jury. I think they've been very kind to the music of "Slumdog Millionaire". I just heard that after Golden Globes the music has gone to No.1 in the US charts. That's great news.

Q: How has the Golden Globe changed your life?

A: Everyone from Andrew Lloyd Webber to Danny Elfman, Craig Armstrong, who worked with me on "Elizabeth: The Golden Age", got in touch. Now I feel a lot more freedom beyond film music, as a musician. I can do my own thing now, things that I wanted to do. Hip-hop artist Akon wants me to write something. He wanted me to do a music video with him. But I want to compose or write, not be in his video.

Q: You looked very shy collecting your awards.

A: In that one week, I received three awards in the US. The first was the Critics' Awards. When I got that, the American media wasn't interested in me. They didn't want my solo photographs. 'Can you please stand next to Danny Boyle?' they'd say. I think it was a glamour thing. By the time I came to the third award, the Golden Globe, they said, 'Can we have your solo pictures, please?'

No comments:

Powered By Blogger